Raven Field Startup for BP in Egypt

Latest resource is the fifth gas field begin gas production for bp in the West Nile Delta.

BP’s onshore facilities at West Nile Delta.
BP’s onshore facilities at West Nile Delta.

Natural gas has begun flowing from the BP-operated Raven field, the third stage of the company’s major West Nile Delta (WND) development off the Mediterranean coast in Egypt. The $9-billion WND development includes five gas fields across the North Alexandria and West Mediterranean Deepwater offshore concession blocks in the Mediterranean Sea.

Raven is currently producing approximately 600 MMcf/D with a peak potential of 900 MMcf/D and 30,000 B/D of condensate.

Raven follows the Taurus/Libra and Giza/Fayoum projects, which started production in 2017 and 2019, respectively. It produces gas to a new onshore processing facility, alongside the existing WND onshore processing plant.

In total, the WND development includes 25 wells producing gas to the onshore processing plant via three long-distance subsea tiebacks. The onshore facilities—including the new Raven facility—now have a total gas processing capacity of around 1.4 Bcf/D of gas. All gas produced is fed into Egypt’s national grid.

BP is the operator and has an 82.75% stake in the WND development, with Wintershall Dea holding the remaining 17.25% interest.