TotalEnergies Makes Discovery Off Nigeria

Follow-up sidetrack tested up to 5,000 B/D of oil.

Ofon field.
Ofon field.

TotalEnergies confirmed a new oil and gas discovery at OML102 offshore Nigeria.

Located in shallow waters 60 km off the southeast coast of Nigeria, the Ntokon-1AX discovery well encountered 38 m of net oil pay and 15 m of net gas pay. A subsequent sidetrack well, Ntokon-1G1, encountered 73 m of net oil pay in well-developed and excellent-quality reservoirs. Ntokon-1G1 tested successfully up to a maximum rate of about 5,000 B/D of 40 °API oil.

Located 20 km from the Ofon field facilities on OML102, Ntokon is planned to be developed through a tieback to these existing facilities.

“The Ntokon discovery opens a promising outlook for a new tieback development,” said Nicolas Terraz, president, exploration and production at TotalEnergies. “After the startup of production of the Ikike tieback on OML99 in 2022, this new success in the area further demonstrates the potential of nearby exploration to create value within our low-cost, low‑emission strategy.”

OML102 is operated by TotalEnergies EP Nigeria with a 40% interest. Partner NNPC Ltd. holds the remaining 60%.