Enhanced recovery

Captain Field EOR Stage 2 Project a Go

Operator will use polymerized water into reservoir to boost oil and gas recovery.

Ithaca’s Captain facilities in the North Sea.
Ithaca’s Captain facilities in the North Sea.

Ithaca Energy, operator of the Captain field, has sanctioned the Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Stage 2 project in the UK Central North Sea after receiving Field Development Plan Addendum consent from the Oil and Gas Authority.

EOR Stage 2 is designed to significantly increase hydrocarbon recovery by injecting polymerized water into the reservoir through additional subsea wells, subsea infrastructure, and new topsides facilities. Stage 1 of the project demonstrated that polymer EOR technology can work, with the production response in line with or better than expected across all injection patterns, helping maximize economic recovery.

The Captain field was discovered in 1977, in Block 13/22a located on the edge of the outer Moray Firth. The billion-barrel field achieved first production in March 1997—over 24 years ago. Ithaca Energy holds 85% working interest, while partner Dana Petroleum holds the remaining 15%.