Second Shipment of Modules Ship Out for Mexico FPSO

Modules for the FPSO will travel to Singapore for integration. The FPSO will be located offshore Mexico, with first oil production planned for 2021.


McDermott moved its second shipment of topside modules for MODEC’s Miamte MV34 floating production, storage, and offloading (FPSO) unit from its Altamira fabrication facility in Mexico.

This follows McDermott’s first shipment of modules from Altamira in October.

The modules will travel from the Altamira fabrication facility to Singapore where integration will be performed at the Dyna-Mac fabrication yard.

The scope of the work comprises five FPSO topside modules, delivered in two shipments. This second shipment includes modules that provide inlet separators, oil separation, a flare knockout drum, and sand-cleanup materials.

Eni Mexico contracted MODEC for the supply, charter, and operations of the FPSO, which will be in the Area 1 block, about 6 miles (10 km) off the coast of Mexico in Campeche Bay at a water depth of approximately 105 ft (32 m).

MODEC is responsible for the engineering, procurement, construction, mobilization, installation, and operation of the Miamte, including topsides processing equipment as well as hull and marine systems. SOFEC, a MODEC company, will design and supply the disconnectable tower yoke mooring system.

The FPSO will be capable of processing 90,000 BOPD, 75 MMcf/D, 120,000 bbl of water injection per day, with a storage capacity of 900,000 bbl of oil. First oil production is planned for 2021.

MODEC will own the FPSO and provide the operations and maintenance services for an initial 15-year period with the option of 1-year extensions for a further 5 years.

Eni is the operator and holds 65% interest in Area 1; Qatar Petroleum holds the remaining 35%.