Field/project development

Shell Reaches FID on Dover Project in the US Gulf of Mexico

Production from the Dover field is expected to start in late 2024 or early 2025.

Shell made the large oil discovery with its Dover exploration well in the Norphlet geologic play in the deepwater US Gulf of Mexico in 2018.
Source: Shell

Shell Offshore has made a final investment decision (FID) for its Dover field in the US Gulf of Mexico (GOM).

The development concept for Dover is a subsea tieback to the Shell-operated Appomattox production hub, with two production wells produced through a 17.5-mile flowline and riser. Production is expected to in late 2024 or early 2025 and will produce up to 21,000 BOE/D at peak rates, according to the company.

"Shell is a pioneer in the Norphlet reservoir with Appomattox, and we are building on our leading position in the reservoir with Dover," said Paul Goodfellow, Shell's executive vice president for deepwater. "Last year we took FID on Rydberg, another subsea tieback to Appomattox, and Dover gives us an opportunity to add to our base in this prolific basin."

Originally discovered in 2018, Dover is located within Mississippi Canyon, approximately 170 miles offshore southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana, in about 7,500 ft of water.

Shell said at the time ofDover's discovery that it showcased the company's "expertise in discovering new, commercial resources in a heartland helping deliver our deepwater growth priority." The discovery was Shell's sixth in the Norphlet geologic play in the GOM and encountered more than 800 net ft of pay.

Shell has 100% working interest in Dover and is operator of the Appomattox production hub with a 79% working interest. CNOOC holds the remaining 21%.