Offshore/subsea systems

Trion Field Gets Regulatory Green Light

Woodside confirms key contracts for deepwater Mexican Gulf development.

First oil at Trion is targeted for 2028.
SOURCE: Woodside

Australian explorer Woodside Energy confirmed that its Trion field development plan has been approved by Mexican regulator Comisión Nacional de Hidrocarburos (CNH) and major contracts are in place to proceed with the estimated $7.2-billion project.

Woodside’s final investment decision to develop the Trion resource, announced 20 June 2023, was subject to Trion joint-venture approval and regulatory approval of the development plan.

The project execution phase activities are progressing, and Woodside has executed key contracts related to the development including the floating production unit (FPU) engineering, procurement, and construction contract with HD Hyundai Heavy Industries.

SBM Offshore has won the contract to install the FPU and floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessel for Trion, while Transocean has secured the development drilling work and OneSubsea UK has scooped the deal to supply the subsea trees.

First oil at Trion is targeted for 2028. Woodside is the operator of the Trion development with a 60% interest, and Pemex Exploración y Producción holds the remaining 40%.

Following the approval of the development plan, Woodside has booked proved (1P) undeveloped reserves of 324.7 million BOE gross (194.8 million BOE Woodside share) and proved plus probable (2P) undeveloped reserves of 478.7 million BOE gross (287.2 million BOE Woodside share).

Trion is in a water depth of 2500 m, approximately 180 km off the Mexican coastline and 30 km south of the Mexico/US maritime border. Pemex discovered the field in 2012. BHP Petroleum acquired an interest in 2017, which subsequently became part of Woodside’s portfolio in 2022.

The resource will be developed through an FPU with an oil production capacity of 100,000 B/D, connected to an FSO vessel with a capacity of 950,000 bbl of oil.

Crude is expected to be shipped to international markets, and the development is expected to include 18 wells (nine producers, seven water injectors, and two gas injectors) drilled in the initial phase, with a total of 24 wells drilled over the life of the project.

Gas that is not reinjected or used on the FPU will be delivered to the domestic natural gas pipeline network by a subsea gas pipeline.